Of Monsters And Mix Tapes
Man, was the weather in Los Angeles this weekend perfect, or what? Although a teensy bit late in the season, this would have been a great timeÂ toÂ hit up the California Poppy Reserve out in Antelope Valley. According to their website the flowers are finally starting to fade. Thankfully I made my annual pilgrimageÂ in mid-March, and it was as glorious as I’ve ever seen it in my years of enjoying the trails there. So… howÂ did I spend this lovelyÂ weekend, you ask?Â I went on a nice long run on SaturdayÂ morning. Then Adam, Genna and I spent the day at Monsterpalooza. I guess I wastedÂ a lot of that beautiful weather by beingÂ indoors. Oh well. Today was a great day to be out and aboutÂ as well. I brunched in the open air before heading home to bottle theÂ beer I brewed just about a month ago. I’ll post all about that in a week or two when I sampleÂ the first bottle(s).
Most of my best observations of Monsterpalooza occurred on Snapchat, but I managed to save some pictures so I couldÂ post here. These will give you a very simplistic overviewÂ of the spectacle that is a horror movie convention. So many costumes. So many creepy dudes. So much cleavage.
Okay, that’s all I’ve got until Genna sends over whatever photos she took on her fancy professional camera. Everything else is lost to the annals…wherever dead Snapchats go. Probably some pervert’s hard drive somewhere in “Silicon Beach” or whatever they’re calling Venice this days.
Now here’s your Sunday Mix Tape, with some fun little notations to tell you what you’re listening to because I’ve got Homeland on in the background and only ever half pay attention to what’s happening on thatÂ show.
RULES for uninitiated noobs: I give birth to a weekly Mix Tape to be deposited on your iPhoneÂ or iPod or iBrainÂ or whatever the industry is currently pushing on you. Sometimes there will be themes that link all the songs together, other times Iâ€™ll just throw songs at a wall (not literally – iPhones are expensive!) and see what sticks. This week features a lot of songs from albums that have either recently been released, or are due to come out in the near future. Except for the Portishead and Broadcast tracks, which areÂ included because I found myself listening to both of these records this week.Â The goal of this endeavor, as always, is to pique your interest in these artists so youâ€™ll support the artists and buy their albums.
Sunday Mix Tape â€“ Number 408
01. Melody’s Echo Chamber – Cross My HeartÂ – Can you believe it’s been FIVE YEARS since the last album from Melody Prochet? IÂ loved that record. It might have been #74 on my top albums of the year list, but it came out towards the end of the year so I didn’t spend enough time with it between September and December. Since then it’s probably one of the five albums from that year I’ve listened to the most. So fucking good. So excited forÂ Bon Voyage, which isÂ out soon.
02. Ride – Charm Assault
03. Portishead – All Mine – If I had to rank the Portishead albums they’d probably be DummyÂ first, thenÂ Third, and the self-titled one would be last. But the self-titled one includesÂ couple of the group’sÂ best songs (“Cowboys” and “All Mine”) so it’s a required listen for me every few months.Â [buy this album]
04. Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell – I’m Movin’Â – There are a couple bands — and Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell is one (King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard is another) — that I feel like I should enjoy way more than I do. They’ve got great songsÂ here and there, but whenÂ I sit down to listen to one of their records and at some point I get bored and take it off and put something else on. If the whole Keep It Greasy album sounded this good, it’d be one of the best releases of 2017. [buy this album]
05. Ulver – So Falls The World
06. Simon Doom – I Feel Unloved – My buddy Brandon used play drums in a band calledÂ Apse, who I loooooooved. Since they disbanded he’s played around with aÂ bunch of different folks.Â Last time he was out here visiting he let me know he was playing in a band called Simon Doom. AÂ week or two ago he sent me a link to a Noisey article featuring one of their songs. If “I Feel Unloved” is any indication of how the entirety ofÂ Babyman is going to sound once its released next month…might I drop a “It’ll be the soundtrack to your summer!” cliche? Oh, I might.
07. Pharmakon – Nakedness Of Need – IsÂ she coming to LA again soon? That show with her and Haxan Cloak in the church basement in Highland Park was mind-blowing. [buy this album]
08. Broadcast – The Book Lovers
09. Lana Del Rey – Love
10. Jefre Cantu-Ledesma – A Song Of Summer
Leave a Comment