Stay At Home: Day 70

  • Stay At Home: Day 70

I think today is technically… like…the last day of the “Safer At Home” order. Press conferences are scheduled tomorrow where the mayor is likely to allow restaurant reopenings. As far as I can tell, retail stores are already allowed to be open. I find this slightly discomforting because California set a record for new cases just today. Los Angeles saw a record high for our 7-day rolling average of new cases just 2 days ago. Hospitalizations and deaths were down a bit recently but…I don’t know guys. I don’t have a great feeling about this. As much as I’d love to go out to restaurants and breweries again, I don’t think I’m going to be doing that any time soon. We’re okay with delivery once or twice a week and cooking the rest of our meals. It’s gotten us through the past 70 days and can likely help us safely navigate through many more.

I have to apologize for my lack of posts for the past two weeks. We experienced something of a life change last Sunday and most of my time and energy have been devoted to it. There has been nothing in my life except for work, and outside of work there has only been…well, why don’t I let the pictures explain:

This is Theodora T. Dogg (the “T.” stands for “the”). We call her Theo for short. She’s a miniature Australian Shepherd and she’s about 10 weeks old and weighs 3.4 pounds. I am hyperfocused on her well-being because she’s basically a baby. With baby dogs come baby dog issues, like chewing everything in sight, peeing and pooping all over the house, and generally creating an impossible atmosphere in which to get anything productive done. When you leave her alone for too long she’ll start tearing up carpet or digging under furniture for something to eat. When this happens she ceases to be Theo and transforms into “Destructo,” Theo’s evil doppelganger. She’s pretty much crate-trained by now, and no longer cries at night when we put her to sleep. Unfortunately, she has a 10-week-old’s bladder and requires trips to the potty (aka the designated part of the living room where we have potty pads) every two hours or so. We can stretch this overnight to 3 or 4 hours. So for the past two weeks I’ve been waking up routinely in the middle of the night to let her out of her crate so she can pee. You should see my sleep stats for the past 14 nights. Abysmal. My coffee intake has increased drastically each morning, and my beer intake has increased each evening. In fact, I’m going to go crack a beer right now, because before I know it…it’s going to be time to make dinner, exhaust the pup, and (eventually) turn off the screens for the night and try to relax.

I’ll post a mixtape for you soon.

Stay healthy and stay safe.

Leave a Comment